The School of International Economic Relations is one of the oldest MGIMO schools, and its largest by number of students. The School was launched in 1948 to train international economic experts. In 1958 it was integrated with the Institute of Foreign Trade of the Ministry of Foreign Trade of the USSR, and the commercial, monetary and currency departments were established.
During the late 1980s and early 1990s major changes in the economic system of Russia saw the introduction of new specializations: International Marketing, International Advertising, International Transport and Logistics, Accounting and Audit in International Economic Activity, Economic Diplomacy, Foreign Economic Activity, International Monetary and Financial Relations, World Financial Markets and Foreign Economic Activity Insurance.
The School took its first Bachelor students in 1993. School alumni are employed across the spectrum of major global organizations including the UN, World Bank, and IMF, as well as major Russian corporate institutions including Vneshekonombank, Sberbank, Gazprom, Rosneft, Rostekhnologii, Ernst&Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG and others. Many alumni of the School constitute the elite of the Russian financial sector, managing banks, audit, insurance and consulting companies.